Monday, September 19, 2011

Love Letter to My Son

Dear Chance, 

Everyday you are talking more and more. Growing more and more and just becoming more aware of the world around you. We are having conversations. Here’s one from tonight.

You said, “Those are girls on there, momma.” (as a group of girls were singing on TV.)

I said, “What do you think about those girls, Chance.” 

You said, “I think she’s pretty, momma.” (as the TV showed just one of the girls)

And she was pretty.

And you sounded so cute, and sweet, and innocent. Just making a statement in your little boy voice.

And I realized in a split second that one day you’re going to come home from college, or a new job, and look at me and say, “I think she’s pretty, mom.” And that will be the girl you’re going to marry. 

And once again I’m reminded of how much I love you. My bubba. I could never have imagined what it would be like to be a mommy to a little boy. How much I would love it. Being your mom has been the best surprise God could have ever given me. I’m not sure I’m getting it right. In fact most days I’m pretty sure I’m screwing it up pretty good. But I love being your mommy, more than you could ever know.    

Tonight was a good night. You were tired from traveling this weekend. Daddy gave you a bath and then you just wanted to snuggle on the couch. You let me hug on you as much as I wanted. Already, as you near your 3rd birthday there are days when the hugs seem few and far between. You are growing up so fast. I wonder how will I ever look at you and not always see my little boy. How do parents do that? Look at their grown kids and not just see the little people you used to be running around in the house?

I’m reminded tonight of how good your little heart is. I pray that God is already at work in there. I pray for that little girl out there, who might be sitting with her mommy, like you sat with me tonight. That someday she will look at you and say…”I think he’s the one, mom.” It seems so far away, but yet I know it will be here in the blink of an eye. But for now…I just want you to know how much I love you. My heart is full and completely overflowing with love for you, and Luci, and Anni and your Daddy.

Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment